pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Proposition for generating message-id

From: Miroslav Sabljic
Subject: [Pan-devel] Proposition for generating message-id
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:05:04 +0100

Hi guys!

I was looking how Pan generates Message-id header and in my humble opinion is that it should be improved. Pan is now generating message-id in format address@hidden and as far as I can see it there can happen a situation where two users could end up with the same msg-ids. For example plenty of users are now using gmail address so the msg-id part right of @ sign will be the same for plenty of users. Lets say that two users who are both using gmail address and they are placed in different timezones send their message, one sends his message exactly at 12:00:01 and other one exactly at 14:00:01, they will end up with the same message-id.

Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Most other newsreaders generate msg-id with some random letter/number combination and with some static string at the end or at the beginning of the string. This is example msg-id generated by slrn.

<address@hidden>

I'm willing to write code for this if you guys agree and if you think that it would benefit pan as an improvement.

--
Best regards,
  Miroslav