pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] newbie

From: richard smith
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] newbie
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 07:34:02 -0500

sam ende wrote:
hallo,
i'm new to pan and linux. i've been running mandrake 8.2 for about 3
weeks now and slowly getting to grips with it all and keeping this as a
dual boot until i'm more at home with it all.
i've used windoze (from 3.1 up to ME) and OE for several years and have
no programming experience whatsoever (html doesn't really count does it
?). i got bored with windoze, but i do like OE better than any of the
other readers i have over the years tried.
one drawback, i think, is that there is no combined news-mailer for a
linux platform, or ? i am also running evolution, which i think is very very slow; that,
apparently is due to my not having a lot of memory (64k)which wasn't a
problem under windows but is under linux as it uses gnome libaries, so,
what i'd basically like to do is use programs which have the same
library to make it go faster sort of thing, but which ones ?
anyways, i'm slowley getting to grips with pan, finding out what does
what withoput the help of documentation cos there isn't any as i found
out, but, some things still escape me, such as, is there a place where
all the replies you've sent are stored, and if so where ? in OE it would
be in your actual mailer sent folder, what is pans equivalent ? and why
does it have the possibilty of four connections ? i can't see the point
seeing as i've only got one phone line, so obviously i'm just not
getting something, but what ?
> ttfn
>
> sammi

I've found that feature invaluable. Cox.net's newserver limits each connection to 50KB/sec, so if I get 4 connections going, I get throughput equal to 200KB/sec. What's even cooler is that Cox has two news servers, east and west coast, so I can get up to 8 concurrent connections (or 400KB/sec) at once, very very useful.

To see your sent messages, click on the button in the top right, probably says Subscribed or All Groups and select folders, you'll see a pan.sent folder that stores sent messages.