pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] newbie

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] newbie
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 14:30:51 +0100

On 18 May 2002 13:20:20 +0100
sam ende <address@hidden> wrote:

SE> one drawback, i think, is that there is no combined news-mailer for a
SE> linux platform, or ?

While the Unix philosophy is to make tools that do one job and do it well,
there are a few combined news and mail readers:
  * Mozilla Mail & News
  * Netscape Mail & News
  * Sylpheed
  * PINE

In my opinion though, none of them have as many advanced features for news as
PAN does.

SE> i am also running evolution, which i think is very very slow; that,
SE> apparently is due to my not having a lot of memory (64k)which wasn't a
SE> problem under windows but is under linux as it uses gnome libaries, SE> so,
what i'd basically like to do is use programs which have the same
SE> library to make it go faster sort of thing, but which ones ?

If you like PAN and Evolution, then I suggest using all/mainly GTK/GNOME based
applications:

Desktop:        GNOME
Web:            Galeon or Dillo
Mail:           Evolution, Sylpheed or Balsa (Evolution is the slowest)
News:           PAN or Sylpheed
IM:             Gabber or Everybuddy
Chat:           XChat or Everybuddy
Word Processor: AbiWord
Spreadsheet:    Gnumeric
Graphics:       The GIMP
Text Editor:    gEdit
Terminal:       GNOME Terminal
HTML Editor:    Bluefish
CD Player:      GNOME CD Player
CD Ripper:      GRip
Audio Mixer:    gMix

SE> some things still escape me, such as, is there a place where
SE> all the replies you've sent are stored, and if so where ? in OE it SE>
would be in your actual mailer sent folder, what is pans equivalent ?

They are stored in an irritatingly difficult to find place. At the top of the
groups list, there is a drop down list. You can use that to switch between
"Subscribed", "New Groups", "All Groups" and "Folders". (Note to PAN
developers, it would be nicer if there was a 5th option: "Subscribed +
Folders"). If you switch to "Folders" then there is a "sent" folder and a
"sendlater" folder.

SE> and why
SE> does it have the possibilty of four connections ? i can't see the
SE> point seeing as i've only got one phone line, so obviously i'm just
SE> not getting something, but what ?

Say you have two browser Windows open on different websites, both downloading
pages. That is two different connections, right? They're both going over the
same phone line, but it means that you can download more than one thing at a
time.

That's what the multiple connectiosn in PAN let you do. If in doubt, just keep
the default settings. They work pretty well in most cases.

--
          Toby A Inkster, Esq. ~ http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/
              mailto:tobyink<at>goddamn.co.uk ~ gpg:0x5274FE5A

"so dose me up, once is not enough, i can still see the ground.
 and from this high-rise view looking down on you,
                         i'm not the one wasting my time." -tom mcrae