pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] newbie

From: sam ende
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] newbie
Date: 18 May 2002 14:52:35 +0100

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 14:05, gaw zay wrote:

... is that there is no combined news-mailer for a
> > linux platform, or ?
>
> Pine. Netscape. Mozilla. Probably more. I don't think that's a good
> combination
> anyway, that's like saying I wish I had a text editor built into quake, they
> are
> unrelated ... You can forward articles from Pan via email, that's all I want
> myself.

i did find it good to have both on one screen rather than having to
switch windows, that way i could do news and see mail come in.

> OE is garbage.</rant>

everybody says that :) yes, it has it's limits, it doesn't ROT for one.

> > i am also running evolution, which i think is very very slow; that,
> > apparently is due to my not having a lot of memory (64k)which wasn't a
>
> 64k? is your screen blue and say "38511 bytes free" on it? (Commodore 64 joke)

ack. i used to have one of those, shortly before the amiga came out,
that was also the beginning and end of my programming experience; making
a ballon fly over the screen (well, tv:)at the time you could buy
magazines with pages and pages of code. half the magazine though seemed
to be dedicated to the last issues misprints :)it seemed an awful lot of
work, and one used a tape recorder to save stuff which was temperamental
at best, so i never got any further than that.

> anyway I assume 64M

yes of course.

, RAM is very cheap now, can your motherboard take more?

iirc no, as the other large slot has been damaged by someone trying to
do exactly that :( but i could ask about the other slots as i don't
really know.

> If you can't afford anything right now I understand ... I have a bunch of 72
> pin
> SIMMS laying around here although they are low M #s if you want them for
> postage
> What speed is your CPU?

it's a pentium II if that's of any use ?

the gtk2 version of Pan takes more resources ...

> > problem under windows but is under linux as it uses gnome libaries, so,
> > what i'd basically like to do is use programs which have the same
> > library to make it go faster sort of thing, but which ones ?
>
> I don't think you understand one part of libraries,

you think correctly.

 stuff can be built with
> different sets of libraries if the creator allows such a thing (like for
> example if Charles made pan with selectable gtk or qt or motif frontends)
> You can't just recompile a gnome/gtk program as somethine else less hoggy. :-(

i was assuming that, for instance, there are different versions of linux
and these different versions are libraries ? so there are gnome
libraries and kde libraries etc etc ? and that applications are
developed from the different libraries ? so that it would be best/less
consumptive to run applications which use the same libraries ? i think i
need to do some reading to gain some sort of understanding of it all.

sammi