pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.92 nit picks

From: Christian Lohmaier
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.92 nit picks
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 22:29:11 +0200

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:05:44PM -0700, Charles Kerr wrote:

> >> There's a cheatsheet at http://pan.rebelbase.com/shortcuts.html
>
> > ..but where did 'mark thread read' go?
> > I'd like to have this one back since I use this a lot.
>
> To make a long story short, I'd gotten requests asking for parallel
> functions to operate on selected, on subthreads, and on threads.
>
> This sounded like a good idea but it made the menus, which were already
> pretty bloated in 0.11, even bigger.

Why care about the size of menus when these are only used occassionaly
since everything is usually done with keyboard-shortcuts?
You can have nested menus so that the items that aren't used very often
are accessible via the menu in a reasonable way and the 'usually by
keyboard'-ones go into the nested one (understand what I'm trying to
say?) - They don't even have to appear in the menu at all.

> Adding `select subthread' and `select thread' to the menu, so that they
> can be used in combination with any of the article commands, effectively
> adds new features while making the menus smaller.

Well, this seems like an ugly workaround to me. But better than without
this option.
The same applies to 'get new headers for subscribed Groups' I liked
having a single combination to get things going.

ciao
Christian