pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.92 nit picks

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.92 nit picks
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:30:40 -0700

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 10:29:11PM +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:05:44PM -0700, Charles Kerr wrote:

>> To make a long story short, I'd gotten requests asking for parallel
>> functions to operate on selected, on subthreads, and on threads.
>>
>> This sounded like a good idea but it made the menus, which were already
>> pretty bloated in 0.11, even bigger.

> Why care about the size of menus when these are only used occassionaly
> since everything is usually done with keyboard-shortcuts?
> You can have nested menus so that the items that aren't used very often
> are accessible via the menu in a reasonable way and the 'usually by
> keyboard'-ones go into the nested one (understand what I'm trying to
> say?) - They don't even have to appear in the menu at all.

Because new users matter too.
Because everyone has different opinions on what is frequently used.
Because each one of these functions adds code that has to be maintained.
Because if they' don't appear in the menu, nobody will know about them.
Because I *hate* nested menus. ;)

> > Adding `select subthread' and `select thread' to the menu, so that they
> > can be used in combination with any of the article commands, effectively
> > adds new features while making the menus smaller.
>
> Well, this seems like an ugly workaround to me. But better than without
> this option.  The same applies to 'get new headers for subscribed Groups'
> I liked having a single combination to get things going.

"get new for subscribed" is probably the single command that everyone would
agree is "frequently used", so I could be talked into putting it back in.
But I'd be more amenable to moving the "get-new-subscribed-on-startup"
checkbox from the Preferences dialog into a menu where it's easier for new
users to find.

cheers,
Charles