pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] underlines etc in pan

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] underlines etc in pan
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:12:00 -0600

> >     but that's the simple case. :) there's probably some degenerate
> > corner case where it breaks down. such as:
> >
> > "If I call function do_foo in bar, is _does not mean do_foo_bar_"
> >
> >     can you guarantee that your parser will render all that correctly?
>
> I can't, but knode for example does.  ;)  Nothing got underlined and this
> seems to be correct to me.

        it's a sensible fallback; but some would say that all of '_does not
mean do_foo_bar_' should be underlined; some would say everything except for
the underscores should be underlined; some would say you should be sure to
make a font where underscores don't collide with underlines.
        me, I think the original poster wanted to imply underlining, but
since he didn't have to actually write a line under it, he could readily use
underscores in his words. :)

> I fully understand your point of view. I simply considered this "feature" so
> exotic, that pan does not do it. For the most part I thought I was only to
> stupid to find the option that makes it work. Now I know more again.
>
> Sebastian

your question is not invalid; it's a good thing to bring up. now we all know
what my views on the subject are; and others have the opportunity to voice
their opinions on the matter. (I've certainly changed my mind on more than
one occasion; after a rational discussion).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises