pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Update on cron-friendly Pan

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Update on cron-friendly Pan
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:01:17 -0600

> When run from cron as a non-root user, $PAN_HOME is probably a good place for
> the log so long as the max log file size is configurable. I'm not a big fan of
> nicely formatted output - ie html - since it would make parsing the log file
> more difficult should the need or desire arise.

        absolutely. logs should be plain text. if you want more formatting,
write a perl script to deal with the logs and produce HTML.

> Is there any thought being given to using Pan to serve news to a series of
> local users now that it will be "cronable"? Ie, run from cron as root and
> write
> an article cache that can be used by multiple users?

        look into 'leafnode'. it's about what you're looking for there.
http://www.leafnode.org/
        looks like there's even some web-based tool to (mis)configure it.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/leafwa/?topic_id=39%2C243%2C253

Carl.
--
Systems Administrator