pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Update on cron-friendly Pan

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Update on cron-friendly Pan
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:52:20 -0600

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:33:52PM -0500, John LeMay wrote:
> Somehow I'm always pulling SA duty)

        I'm a Smart Ass around here too.
        ;)

> I'm constantly trying to streamline
> stuff and cut down on the amount of email I get. I love rotating logs,
> personally.

        that's what logrotate is for. :) I wish I could cut out the crufty
e-mail messages; but most of them are one-liners from swatch, telling me
that such-and-such interface on a given switch in our server room just
bounced; or there was an FTP connection refused from some foreign country.
        I also have to look at the tripwire logs, and the logwatch reports
(which I usually just discard, as they're worse than useless). so I may get
400 pieces of mail a day; but half that is stuff I sort through really fast
with the 'd' key. :)

keeping track of your life with your inbox, is probably not the thing for
everyone. it usually works reasonably well for me tho.

Carl.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises