pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Compile errors on 0.13.2

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Compile errors on 0.13.2
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:56:50 -0700

On Saturday 09 November 2002 09:29, John J. LeMay Jr. wrote:
> You may have heard of "AcceleratedX" - their X product has been known by
> that name for a while. Definitely not free, but worth the cost as far as I
> am concerned to get decent looking fonts and a nice speed increase.

Well, there's two meanings to the English term "free". While "Software Gratis"
(free as in beer) may be nice, I definitely prefer "Software Libre" (free as
in speech.   Here's a copy of portions of the USER agreement.  Keep in mind
that with the GPL or LGPL, no user agreement is even needed, because they
don't even restrict that.  The GPL and LGPL are developer and distributer
agreements, because they simply require that source code be made available if
changes are made, and that a notice be at least included with any
distribution informing those who want it, where the source is available.  If
I wanted restricted rights, I wouldn't have dumped a decade of MS experience
a year ago to start over on Linux!

<quote>
Xi Graphics, Inc. Software License Agreement

[] IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT, EXIT
THIS LINK AT THIS TIME. []

1. Definition.  The Software Product [] includes [] a transferable license to
use the program on a single computer. Xi Graphics, Inc. retains ownership of
all copyright, trade secret, patent, and other proprietary rights in the
software product.

 2. License

 a. Authorized Use. Xi Graphics grants you a nonexclusive single-user license
to use the Software Product on a single desktop/laptop computer. []

 b. Restrictions. You may not: (1) copy (other than for back-up purposes),
distribute, rent, sublicense all or any portion of the Software Product; (2)
modify or prepare derivative works of the Software Product; (3) transmit the
Software Product (IF NOT IN "DEMO FORM") over a network by telephone or
electronically using any means; or (4) reverse engineer, decompile, or
disassemble the Software Product. You agree to keep confidential and use your
best efforts to prevent and protect the contents of the Software Product from
unauthorized disclosure or use.

 </quote>

Note that that you can't even USE it without agreeing to the license, and
further, that you are limited to using it on a SINGLE computer.   Further,
notice the distribution restrictions.   I didn't move out of restriction-land
only to adopt the same restrictions in my new home.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin