pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:12:56 -0800

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 08:05:30PM -0800, Tony Pace wrote:
> Pan's been working good enough for reading groups *ages* now, apparently
> the developers don't care about posting, that's fine because I can't add
> it myself, but, can the latest versions of Pan post binaries yet?  Us
> Linux users look like leeches because we can't post a single binary or
> .par .rar file to help our fellow groupies but need to request them from
> others all the time.  Is this just me?
>
> I don't mean any offense but come on, Pan is by far the best news
> *READER* for Linux, it'd be nice to POST sometime in the next decade.

Before I respond to your question, let me get this out of the way:
either drop the attitude, or submit a patch.  (Or visit the tip jar. :)
I'm happy to discuss features but generally killfile whiners...

Actually the plumbing for encoding uu/yEnc/mime is already written.
IMO the blocker is deciding on how it should work: the tab in the
Compose window is OK for casual attachments, but for Usenet the more
common case is sets of single-or-multipart articles.

If the pan-users list wants to collectively work out how such a GUI
should work, then attachment work will move forward more quickly.
The questions are, how to do these things:

   * casual posting (the current dialog could do this)
   * multipart posting (the current dialog could do this)
   * sets of single or multiparts
   * reposts of single or multiple articles
   * Is sfv support necessary?  Should it be integrated into Pan?
   * Is par support necessary?  Should it be integrated into Pan?

cheers,
Charles