pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Mandrake 9.0 RPM also works for Mandrake 8.2

From: Gollum
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Mandrake 9.0 RPM also works for Mandrake 8.2
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:18:35 +0100

John LeMay wrote:
> By the way Gollum, do you have a LM9.0 box up yet (or does anyone else
> that is interested in packaging)? I'm considering bailing
> on Mandrake in favor of another distro, but I want to make sure there
> would be donated Mandrake packages available for Pan before I do.

I've got a very old computer (P100, 64 MB FP-RAM, 600 MB HD including
swap) where I did a rather minimal install of Mandrake 9.0 with X.
There's no space for development stuff, so compiling anything on that
box is out of the question.  However I don't keep anything valuable
there, so it's OK for testing packages.

Like Duncan, I've also managed to use packages compiled for RedHat on
Mandrake.  I've tried Pan 0.13.0.92 for RH 7.3 on my Mandrake 8.2 box
and Pan 0.13.2.90 for RH 7.3 on my Mandrake 9.0 box.  Both worked with
spellchecking. The RH 8.0 package caused a libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
dependency failure.

I therefore believe Mandrake 8.2 and 9.0 users can survive with the
RH 7.3 packages.  The GTK2 dependency problem can be solved by using
rpm with a --nodeps flag (after checking that there are no other
broken dependencies), or by installing a dummy gtk2 rpm.  I've put a
spec file for such an RPM at the bottom.  I have also enclosed the
RPM - its size is less than 2 kB.  The package contains no files, just
a dependency to the only *gtk+*2.0* RPM that Pan requires.

If we drop the Mandrake RPMs, we could put a "howto" about using RedHat
RPMs on Mandrake on the download page.  There we also could describe how
to add menu entries for Mandrake;  I'm sending an RPM for this purpose
to address@hidden today.

> Although, if cooker gets updated this quick the future it may not make
> a difference.

It makes a difference for those of us who want spellchecking.  I
suppose Mandrake won't include this until the language is selectable,
or at least until there's an enable option in the menus.  I guess
the Mandrake guys don't like seeing almost everything they type
displayed in red when posting in French...

BTW, has there been done any work on spellcheck language selection in
Pan yet? (It's not a complaint, but I may have some thoughts on the
issue.)

---  Start gtk2-dummy.spec  ---

#  To generate the RPM, use
#  rpm -bb --target noarch gtk2-dummy.spec

%define name    gtk2
%define version 2.0.6
%define release 1mdkdummy

Name:      %{name}
Version:   %{version}
Release:   %{release}
Copyright: GPL
Group:     System/Libraries
Packager:  Gollum <address@hidden>

Requires: libgtk+-x11-2.0_0 >= %{version}

Provides: %{name} = %{version}-%{release}

%description
GTK2 packages from Mandrake are named differently than those from RedHat.
When trying to install a RedHat package that requires GTK2 on a Mandrake
system, this results in a dependency error, even if the actual library
is installed.  This is a dummy package that resolves this dependency.
Note that this package only requires the GTK2 package libgtk+-x11-2.0_0.
Some GTK2 applications may also require gtk+2.0 or libgtk+2.0_0.

%files

%changelog

* Sat Nov 24 2002 Gollum <address@hidden>
- created spec file.