pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Mark Thread Read/Unread

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Mark Thread Read/Unread
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:12:20 -0700

On Mon 30 Dec 2002 07:48, Bobby D. Bryant posted as excerpted below:
> A good while back I asked about support for sub-threads.  It would be
> very nice to be able to set up a bozo filter that says "ignore
> sub-threads headed by this bozo's posts".
>
> There are some insane (literally) and/or anti-social people in
> talk.origins and I normally 'ignore' all the threads they start.  But I
> can't just ignore any thread they post to, because they sometimes post
> to good threads that someone else started.  An "ignore subthread" that
> could be invoked by a filter is something I've wanted for a long time.

Now that's a very useful feature...

Actually, when PAN gets proper filtering, the likes of KMail, thus, filtering
on any header individually, a subgroup of headers, all headers collectively,
the body, or the entire post, sub-thread filtering would be possible to do by
just filtering on the references header for the msg-id of the post starting
the sub thread.  (If JUST done that way, it'd expire if the sub thread got to
long, if the references header was shortened, but it'd work in the majority
of cases, and could be reapplied if necessary.)  At that point, a GUI option
would be fairly simple to add to handle all the dirty work, or it could
always be done manually.

To be able to automatically filter sub threads based on author (as per your
bozo suggestion) would require a bit more specific coding, as it would entail
looking at the references header of anyone on the sub thread-bozo list.
Hmm..  Now that I think about it, that functionality could again be
generalized, such that subthread filtering could be done on any other header,
not just author, or even further generalized such that conditional filtering
based on two separate headers was possible.  However, the latter gets pretty
complicated, and looks an awful lot like scoring already, so it would
probably be more efficiently handled with real scoring.

However, it all comes back to PAN lacking real filtering ability at this
point.  On that feature at least, it's embarrassingly close to OE4, the first
OE version.  OE's got better filtering than what many call the best
newsreader Linux has to offer, our own PAN, and that *IS* bad!

This is just my opinion, but the two features PAN is most sorely lacking at
this point are even trivial (one-shot, single part) attachment posting, and
decent filtering ability on more than just the subject and author headers.  I
do wish I was a bit more advanced at coding, so I could contribute myself to
that, and because I am not / cannot yet, I cannot criticise either, but they
certainly ARE opportunities for enhancement!  <g>  Put them down as my two
most needed missing and requested features.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin