pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] scoring/filtering suggestions

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] scoring/filtering suggestions
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:37:08 -0700

On Wed 09 Apr 2003 01:52, Bobby D. Bryant posted as excerpted below:
> 1) In the "Edit Filter" dialog I wild like to replace the selector
> "Article score is at least" with three separate filters, "Article
> score >=", "Article score <=", and "Article score between".  I would
> also like to be able to specify a number of my choice rather than
> relying on the five predefined categories.
>
> That much would let me do things like "if score < xyz then mark as
> read".  (I prefer marking as read over hiding or deleting, because
> showing the post but marking it as read preserves the thread structure.)

This can be done, within limited boundaries, already.

To get less than, simply use the invert button after adding the filter clause.
To get a range, simply use two filter clauses, one less than, one at least,
and ensure the filter is set to "all of".

One can even mix all of, any of, none of, etc, in the same filter, by using
sub-clauses and modifying them and the overall filter as necessary.  Further,
since the score category cutoffs are adjustable, the entire thing is
adjustable.

Unfortunately that still leaves certain limits.  One, as currently written,
since there is no "custom" score category, one is limited to the 5
pre-configured categories, altho the cutoffs between them can be adjusted.
Two, that condition means you can't set one set of limits for one filter, and
another for a different filter, outside of using up another category for the
second one.  (IOW, you basically can't set different categories to be applied
by different filters, for different groups or whatever.)

Basically, that means we need one additional category available in that
drop-down box, a "custom" category, which enables a spinbox where a custom
score can be added.

Then, to address the second part of your post, we need a new "colorize" action
in the rules dialog, with customizable colors.

That, along with the already existing filter clauses as explained above,
should allow exactly what you wanted.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin