pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] complex question less to do with pan, more to do with in

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] complex question less to do with pan, more to do with internet
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:05:12 -0700

On Wed 23 Apr 2003 22:51, address@hidden posted as excerpted below:
>       Well guys, lets face it, I have a crappy news server. I work for an
> ISP, and we use Giganews there, while at home I have Charter, which uses
> 'supernews.'

SN policies **HIGHLY** discourage heavy multi-part binary users on their
servers.  OTOH, for text group retention, I believe they are unmatched. with
8 months last I was on it (w/ my former ISP), and a policy of keeping AT
LEAST 6 months of text posts available, IIRC.  Some folks hate SN for it,
others purchase indi accounts specifically for the text retention and
anti-spam measures (incl. no binaries in other than alt.binaries).

> anywho, I was trying to figure out a way to get Giganews from work, to
> my house.
>
> I was looking into setting up a Samba drive, that I could access through
> the internet. I was advised against this for security reasons.

.. And rightly so.  That's not the best idea, security-wise.

> I was
> also thinking of how to wrap the packets coming in via TCP to get it
> from work to home.
>
> problem: I don't want to download the stuff, then FTP it. I'd like to
> save it directly to my house.. if possible.

You may wish to look into LeafNode as the work-side news proxy.  I haven't
personally tried it or looked into it in any depth, but someone once set up
for me an account with LeafNode access on his machine, so I could continue my
activity in the DSL support group for my former ISP.  (There were three
regulars, including me, in the group, that answered most of the questions.)

I don't know how secure LeafNode access can be made, but I know it can be set
up on arbitrary ports, as I had access to it thru port 8888 I think it was,
rather than the standard NNTP 119, to access it thru firewalls.  Whether it
does securely authenticated access I don't know (does PAN?? never had to
check)..

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin