pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Can I add to spellchecker

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Can I add to spellchecker
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 06:01:57 -0700

Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:05:41 -0400:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:25:07 -0700, Duncan wrote:
>
>> However, to answer your question..  Right-click (or use your menu key,
>> if you have one and prefer it to the mouse) on the marked word and look
>> under spelling suggestions. The first entry here is Add <word> to
>> dictionary.
>
> True, and I've been doing that -- with only ephemeral results. The words I
> add turn black in the message I'm composing; but next time I start one,
> the spellchecker goes right back to questioning all the same old things --
> even after I close and re-open Pan, and even after a reboot. How do I add
> them once and for all?

Funny.. It works for me with PAN, but I have exactly your problem..
with Konqueror and KMail.  =:^\   (I prefer KDE for most apps, but prefer
PAN over KNode..)  Maybe it's a locations thing, and the one location
exists but the other doesn't, here, and the one that does, here, doesn't,
there.  (If that makes any sense.  <g>)  Or maybe it's
locations/permissions?

If I were bugged enough about it to try to hunt it down, I'd probably
begin with an strace on the file accesses and see where that took me.  So
far, however, I haven't been.

I CAN tell you that my custom dictionary is ~/.aspell.en.pws  (Or..
actually.. that's a symlink to an unhidden file, located under
~/config/miscfiles/aspell.en.pws .  Maybe KDE doesn't like the symlink?)
There are three other related files, as well, all ~/.aspell.*, one
en.prepl, and two english.pws and .prepl, which I'm assuming are stale,
from a point when I was experimenting with local settings.

If you have similar files but they are marked user-read-only for some
reason, or belong to some other user, that'd likely be the problem.
Other than that, I really can't say.. unless you want to try symlinking
them and see if that works, since it does here.  <g>

Benjamin Franklin