pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Can I add to spellchecker

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Can I add to spellchecker
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:49:57 -0400

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 06:01:57 -0700, Duncan wrote:

> Beartooth posted :
>> How do I add them once and for all?
>
> If I were bugged enough about it to try to hunt it down, I'd probably
> begin with an strace on the file accesses and see where that took me. So
> far, however, I haven't been.

Well, I tried googling "strace access" and got a mixture of technobabble
and (apparently) solid disquisition -- all of both way over my head ...

> I CAN tell you that my custom dictionary is ~/.aspell.en.pws  (Or..
> actually.. that's a symlink to an unhidden file, located under
> ~/config/miscfiles/aspell.en.pws .  Maybe KDE doesn't like the symlink?)

Errr... duhhh... Are you saying Pan is a KDE app rather than a Gnome app?
Or still just guessing that my Pan does the same thing your KDE apps do?

And does ~/* in this case mean I should be looking for /home/btth/*, since
my Pan is somewhere in /home/btth?

> There are three other related files, as well, all ~/.aspell.*, one
> en.prepl, and two english.pws and .prepl, which I'm assuming are stale,
> from a point when I was experimenting with local settings.

So I should look in <wherever> for files that are stale? What is the test
for staleness?

> If you have similar files but they are marked user-read-only for some
> reason, or belong to some other user, that'd likely be the problem.
> Other than that, I really can't say.. unless you want to try symlinking
> them and see if that works, since it does here.  <g>

Symlink is one of those terms I know exists and can just about manage to
spell .... <sigh>

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger
Whether to defend yourself, and how,