pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Composer options

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Composer options
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:46:06 -0700

Albert posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
 on Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:27:21 -0500:

> I just now installed pan-2.14.2.  I cannot find any options for
> editing/composing replies.  e.g. how might I change the font in
> the compose to a larger size?

The font in the compose window is the same one used in the body pane --
toggled either mono-space or not, and of the size set in preferences,
fonts.  About the only options for the compose window are the wrap
option and rewrap function.  (Well, there's ROT13..)  It's not fancy, but
simple. I believe the idea is that if you want a fancy compose, you set
the external editor option and edit your post there.

> Also, does pan have a feature for displaying simple markup (I
> don't know if it has a name), e.g. /italic/, *bold*, _underline_

Yes, it displays it as ${DEITY} intended -- as written, just as it does
smileys.  =:^)

There was some discussion about this on the list, some weeks/months ago,
but it was controversial enough that adding it would at least require an
option to leave it just as written, and I believe Charles would consider
it "chrome", that is, nothing worth working on until everything else works
as planned (switch to the database backend, which is under active
discussion and development on the devel list, fully automated multi-server
handling, full header and body scoring, not just limited overview scoring,
at least single-part attachment posting, etc.). However, it's possible it
would be added if someone submitted a working patch.  It's also possible
not, with this one, as well, as Charles /may/ consider it bloat that he
doesn't want to maintain.    It should be obvious that I'd tend toward
that opinion, if it were me, but I'd possibly relent if there were
sufficient demand and a patch (including the option part) was supplied.

Benjamin Franklin