pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Installation sucessful, but no joy

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Installation sucessful, but no joy
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:47:55 -0700

Hamilcar Barca posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:00:25 -0600:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:50:09 -0400, Tim Philp wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the list of newsgroups from my server and I can see the
>> list. My problem is that when I click on a group, the program appears
>> to download the headers, but nothing is displayed.
>
> Does the Filter menu show something that may be hiding the articles?

Reading his post (this one), I was about to suggest a filter problem as
well.

Tim, after fetching overviews (akia -- also known incorrectly as --
headers, incorrectly since it's only the few headers in the overview, not
all of them), what do the unread and total columns say in the groups pane,
for that group or those groups?

If they indicate unread messages and you don't see any, than either
there's a problem with PAN, or the filter settings are set to show only
read messages, not unread, or only strangely scored messages, or some
such.

If the unread and total message counts don't change, then again, either
somethings wrong with PAN, or you have it somehow set to delete most of
the messages (using message rules) as they come in.

If it's the former and the group message number indicators change, as I
suspect, it's probably the filters.  If it's the latter, and you haven't
experimented with rules that you know of, it's likely PAN.

There's also a possibility that it's a permissions issue somewhere.  PAN
needs permissions to create and write into its data dir.  I'm not sure
what it'll do without those permissions, but I imagine it's quite likely
it might go thru the motions of d/ling, then try to look at the file where
it put the data to update the list, only there's no such file to update
because it can't write to it!  PAN's normal dir is ~/.pan/data/ .

..

PS.  I'm using PAN to post this to the list (thru gmane.org's list2news
gateway), and it's suddenly complaining about my sig being longer than
four lines??  I haven't changed it, so what in the above is triggering it
to count from there as sig?  Don't tell me it things one of those
em-dashes is a sig delimiter?

Benjamin Franklin