pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Sending Attachments

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Sending Attachments
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:37:59 -0700

John Aldrich posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:00:48 -0400:

> You should, I think, post the patch to Bugzilla and post a note
> here with the bugzilla report number and that you've submitted a patch. :-)
> At least I *think* that's how it works. Don't quote me, as I'm not a member
> of the devel team or anything... :-)

That's right, except I'd say post it to the devel group, tho you can post
it here as well if you think users will find it helpful until it gets
integrated into PAN.

Also, what I do with normal bugs, and would recommend with patches as
well, is to make the reference circular.  Thus, start a thread on it in
devel (or here), asking what others think about the idea or whatever,
preferably before final patch implementation, so others can comment if
they think it's the wrong approach or have a simpler idea, then after a
couple days, create the patch and submit it to bugzilla, noting there the
thread on the list discussing it (thus preventing one from having to
update the bugzilla entry if something interesting comes up on the list),
then when posted, post the bugzilla URL or number to the list, so both
have references to the other, creating a full documentation trail, and
possibly saving Charles some work if he's got questions about it, before
he CVSs it.

Of course, that's an idealized scenario, particularly if it's likely to be
a patch that WOULD create discussion.  Something trivial probably doesn't
need all that, and there's nothing saying one has to do it even if it
WOULD be one some would like to discuss on the list.  Patches are still
welcome and may well be included.

(The biggest thing about posting to the list previous to actually
implementing the patch, besides the larger number of eyes looking at the
idea phenomena, is that it COULD save someone the trouble.. if for
instance someone decides they don't like all those top posting warnings or
something. Charles and company have spent a GREAT deal of time and effort
making PAN 100% GNSKA compliant, and every so often someone has the bright
idea they want to change that. Charles has happily told them exactly where
in the code to look if they want to do it to their own, but he's also made
it clear that no such changes will make it into the mainline PAN build!
Normally, those wishing such changes aren't coders in the first place, but
there's no reason to go to all that work if they DO happen to be coders,
if the patch is already a known rejection.)

Benjamin Franklin