pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "no connections"

From: Adam Shrode
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] "no connections"
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:13:20 -0500

Bob W. Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:03:14 +0200, Tim Kynerd <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:08:33 -0700
"Bob W. Anderson" <address@hidden> wrote:

Very newbie here!   Haven't used Pan yet - "no connections" displays
in box in lower left corner of the screen.   Kmail works fine, as does

Firefox.   Dialup connection.  Athlon 1.2g  SuSE 9.0  Suggestions?
At the risk of sounding stupid: Have you set up your news (NNTP) server
in Pan?

Tools --> News Servers...

Thanks for the response, Tim.   I'm sure it's something like that that
I've failed to do - but lacking (or not being able to find) any
helpful instructions, I'm floundering.

What do I do if I go Tools -> News Servers   ?    I think I was there
once, but didn't know what to do.   Sorry for being so dense.   Maybe
it's related to my being left-handed?

Bob

Mmkay Bob, first you have to promise to read http://www.google.com/googlegroups/basics.html at least. Then you will probably want to spend some time reading about usenet etiquette and the like. You can get a few of these guides at http://kb.indiana.edu/data/abcy.html or http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/ But maybe you would benefit most from http://www.newbie.net/tgos/newbie/

Since you're on dialup you probably aren't going to be going for the music and movie downloads and, given the way you orchestrated your posting, you seem to be nice ... too nice. Watch out for the newsgroup sharks.

The gist of it is newsgroups are a separate service you often receive via your internet service provider. Like you already have email through your ISP (pipeline which is part of earthlink) that allows you to send messages *over the internet* and that is a service just like www is a service that allows you to browse websites *on the internet*. Your ISP gives you the internet and the internet is made up by a whole assortium of things. (If you want to get technical, you have 65,356 ports which are kind of like channels on the television. Warning, large list http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers but take a look if you want to see. Your ISP gives you access to the main stuff like email and the web. A lot is made available by other people/companies. Stuff like games (Id software, Hasbro, Blizzard Entertainment), instant messaging (AOL, Microsoft, Yahoo), and newsgroups (giganews) are provided for additional costs or sometimes free.

In regards to your question though. It looks like you work with earthlink so this page would be relevant. http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/other/landingpage/8532.psc.html

Specifically,*
**What server name should I use?*
Two servers are available for Newsgroups usage: *news.west.earthlink.net* and *news.east.earthlink.net*. For best performance, if you live west of the Mississippi River, you should use *news.west.earthlink.net*. If you live east of the Mississippi River, you should use *news.east.earthlink.net*. If you are unsure, you should use *news.east.earthlink.net*. Both servers will have the same functionality, capability, list of newsgroups, and articles.

All EarthLink members have access to both servers. We encourage you to select whichever server provides the best experience for you.

*Do I need to log in to the news server?*
Yes. All connections to the news servers require authentication. You must log in with your entire email address (e.g. johndoe@/earthlink.net/). Remember, your email address and password are case sensitive. (Make sure your CAPS LOCK button is off!)

*How many connections may I open to the news server?*
EarthLink news servers only allow four simultaneous logins from one connection. This means that you can have up to four programs accessing the news server at any given time.

So basically, your setup would be like this http://anotherguy.com/img/newsgroups.jpg. I don't know if that will work precisely though. Maybe you have another email to log in as or they are switching yours? Alternatively, you can get a free account with http://www.teranews.com/

So hey, have fun with that.
-as-