pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: "no connections"

From: Lenroc
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: "no connections"
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:00:48 -0700

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:08:42 -0500, Bob W. Anderson wrote:

> What do I do if I go Tools -> News Servers   ?    I think I was there
> once, but didn't know what to do.   Sorry for being so dense.   Maybe
> it's related to my being left-handed?

Adam seems to have taken this to mean that you don't have any clue about
what Usenet is or what you might want to do with it.

Since you are interested in getting Pan working, I'll just take the other
tact and guess that you might know what Usenet is but just don't know how
to use Pan (just in case):

So to answer your question, when you go to Tools -> News Servers, you
would want to click on the "Add" button, and fill out the resulting Dialog
Box with information specific to your news server (the server address is
probably the only part you'll need to change. The defaults for everything
else are likely fine, though you'll probably want to give it a descriptive
name [just for use in Pan]).

When you do that, I believe Pan will prompt you to download a list of
groups on the server, which you should agree to do. This will take a while
on dialup, but when it's done you'll finally be able to pick groups to
subscribe to! :)

HTH, Good luck, HAND, etc., etc.

--
Lenroc