pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan 0.14.0

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan 0.14.0
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:21:47 -0500

On 08/18 08:13 , Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 22:57, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
> > I have both gnet-1.1.8 and gnet2-2.0.4 installed on my RedHat box. You
> > could look for a gnet2 rpm for SuSE, or build one yourself I suppose.
>
> Being a newcomer to Linux this year, I'm not really up to speed on such
> things
> - wouldn't know where to even start.
>
> Where would be a good place to look for libgnet-2.0.so.0, Brian?

what distribution do you use?
if you have a package-installation tool like apt; you can use it to search
for files and packages. for instance, I use Debian Linux, and if I wanted a
libgnet2 package; I'd do:

$apt-cache search libgnet
libgnet-dev - Developer files for GNet network library
libgnet2.0-0 - GNet network library
libgnetwork1.0-0 - networking wrapper library using Glib/GObject
libgnetwork1.0-dev - networking wrapper library using Glib/GObject
(development files)

then to install it, I'd type:
$su -
Password:
barbarian:~# apt-get install --download-only libgnet2.0-0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libgnet2.0-0
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 375 not upgraded.
Need to get 101kB of archives.
After unpacking 274kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.mn-linux.org testing/main libgnet2.0-0 2.0.4-1 [101kB]
Fetched 101kB in 0s (1179kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode

without the --download-only option, it would have gone ahead and installed
the libgnet2.0-0 package, after downloading it.

If you don't have a tool like apt installed (there are several); you might
have to hunt down the package and all its dependencies. Most distros these
days support auto-download and dependency checking tho; with some sort of
tool they ship. (IMHO, apt is by far the best tho).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator