pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Several features request

From: Michael M.
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Several features request
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:23:29 -0500

Duncan wrote:

Note that the way the hotkey mapping works, since the server labels are
assigned by the user, there's no way to map hotkeys to each server by
default, because the name of the server isn't known until it is set up. Thus, the only way it can work is if you assign hotkeys yourself, which
I've done here, and I'd certainly recommend others do, if they regularly
use multiple servers.

Not to usurp Julien's grandparent feature requests, but I have been wondering (as I lurk) why more people who want to use multiple servers don't use something like Hamster, leafnode or Newsplex in conjunction with Pan? I have been using Pan only for a short while, since I started making more of a go of using Linux, and I was impressed with how it handles multiple servers and how simple it is to switch between them. But still ... IMO it just can't beat the convenience of a local proxy server (of the sort that the aforementioned software provides). I like having all my groups from all of my servers visible at once and I haven't found a newsreader that provides that. Maybe there's some downside to these programs that I'm not aware of? I used Hamster for a year or more on Windows without any problems, and so far I haven't had any trouble with leafnode (though it is a bit trickier to set-up than Hamster, but that seems to be par-for-the-Linux-course in my limited experience <g>). I'm just curious about whether people just don't see any benefits to them, or whether there are problems/issues I'm unaware of.

Enjoyable, informative, instructive list, BTW, thanks to all posters -- and to Charles for a nice newsreader.

--
Michael