pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Several features request

From: Pete Zaitcev
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Several features request
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:25:17 -0500

> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:23:29 -0500
> From: "Michael M." <address@hidden>

> Not to usurp Julien's grandparent feature requests, but I have been
> wondering (as I lurk) why more people who want to use multiple servers
> don't use something like Hamster, leafnode or Newsplex in conjunction
> with Pan?

At least in my case, I do not wish for leafnode to connect to servers
according to its own schedule. For example, I have half of my newsservers
available only sometimes, when VPN is up. Another example, I do not want
it to churn about when I run on battery; leafnode not only uses the CPU,
but also spins up the drive by writing to log. I do not even want extra
daemons to start when I boot on battery; of course it's a larger problem.

Since I'm in this thread, what really ticks me off in Pan, is its lack
of integration with mail. Sure, date formats are different, but such
details only worry RFC nazis. My "solution" is to have a script like so:

address@hidden ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/pan-mail
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/sbin/sendmail -G "$USER"
address@hidden ~]$

Then, I ask Pan to PRINT news to "pan-mail". That's the only way
I found to bounce articles to mail, which every other newsreader can do,
starting with tin and nn. It's absolutely essential when reading
read-only NNTP gateways of mailing lists, such as linux-kernel,
fedora-devel, and so on. Thanks heavens Pan does not filter
articles before printing and does not remove References:

-- Pete