pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Several features request

From: Christian Lohmaier
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Several features request
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:08:58 +0100

Hi Pete, *,
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 03:25:17AM -0500, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:23:29 -0500
> > From: "Michael M." <address@hidden>
>
> > Not to usurp Julien's grandparent feature requests, but I have been
> > wondering (as I lurk) why more people who want to use multiple servers
> > don't use something like Hamster, leafnode or Newsplex in conjunction
> > with Pan?
>
> At least in my case, I do not wish for leafnode to connect to servers
> according to its own schedule.

Then don't let it have its own schedule.

> For example, I have half of my newsservers
> available only sometimes, when VPN is up.

No problem.

> Another example, I do not want
> it to churn about when I run on battery; leafnode not only uses the CPU,
> but also spins up the drive by writing to log. I do not even want extra
> daemons to start when I boot on battery; of course it's a larger problem.

You can turn this off. Leafnode doesn't run as daemon all the time. It
is run on demand. If you don't access it, it won't do anything.

The real drawback is filtering or comfort/bandwith tradeoff.

?

> [...]
> Then, I ask Pan to PRINT news to "pan-mail". That's the only way
> I found to bounce articles to mail,

Why would you *bounce* news articles via mail?

> which every other newsreader can do,
> starting with tin and nn. It's absolutely essential when reading
> read-only NNTP gateways of mailing lists, such as linux-kernel,
> fedora-devel, and so on.

You definitely must be doing something wrong. My version of pan has a

ciao
Christian
--
NP: Dritch - Weakness