pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Custom headers in 0.95?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Custom headers in 0.95?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 02:49:39 -0700

Brian Morrison posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 05 May 2006 08:55:26 +0100:

> Charles
>
> Any chance of a preference for adding custom headers? I know I can type
> exciting ;-)

Yes, please!

I don't use x-no-archive, but I DO use custom headers.  Here, I'm posting
to a mailing list thru gmane, so I use my real mail address.  However, on
regular newgroups on regular servers, I post with
cox.reply2group.net.please as the email domain name (and a different but
valid username, so the keyword filtering works on my news address without
needlessly complicating my list address), put a 1-line note in the sig to
see the custom x-munging headers for reply instructions (thus keeping the
sig to the standard 4-lines while still allowing room for the quote), and
then post this as my custom headers:

x-munging1: Usenet replies preferred,  If replying by mail,
x-munging2: do ALL the following to avoid the spam traps:
x-munging3: 1) Use plain text.  HTML format auto-trashed.
x-munging4: 2) Kill address reply2group and please phrases.
x-munging5: 3) Put " -news" at the END of the subject
x-munging6: (no quotes, space, dash, news, END)

I can do that because I really /do/ want to encourage appropriate
to me jump thru a couple extra hoops to do so isn't an issue.  That's why
the -news keyword filtering also works so well.  However, the address is
deliberately unmungable, and if the replier follows the keyword and no
HTML instructions, the message bypasses the rest of my spam filtering, so
folks have a way to contact me personally if they really want/need to.
I've yet to have a single spam get thru the keyword filtering (or if it
did the HTML filtering got it first, since that's security/malware
filtering and therefore has a very high priority), and anybody that can't
follow directions... well... they can contact me by the newsgroup.  The
system works very well.  People can and do contact me, the munged
address and instructions are widely posted, including where spam
harvesters are known to troll and in who knows how many folks' OEs, yet I
have zero spam problems on the address due to the keyword filtering; can't
get better than that. I'd like to keep it working, which makes custom
headers an absolute requirement.