pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Custom headers in 0.95?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Custom headers in 0.95?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 05:07:57 -0700

Brian Morrison posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Fri, 05 May 2006 12:33:06 +0100:

> Travis wrote:
>>
>> More often than not the "X-No-Archive:  Yes" is not recognized and is a
>> waste of time.
>>
> I've always found it reliable when placed in the headers, a Google Groups
> search finds few posts from me. I don't trust Google's desire to have
> indexed everything, and I keep remembering Dr Fun's "Ghost of Usenet
> Postings Past".

See, I've never had a problem with the idea of posts with my name attached
being archived.  I am willing to take 100% responsibility for them, or I
wouldn't have posted them in a public forum with my name attached.  Even
where my views have changed over the years, what I posted is what I
believed then, and I'm both willing to take responsibility for it and
explain how and why my views have changed.  (An example might be some of
the stuff posted under address@hidden, in the MSIE and OE groups,
back some years ago.  I'm even pointing it out, tho my views have changed
somewhat.)

As for the possibility of not getting a job (or whatever) due to such
postings being connected with my name, that doesn't bother me either.  If
the potential employer is unwilling to hire me after seeing what I'm
willing to publicly speak up for, then I'm better off not working for them
in any case.  I'll be happier working elsewhere, thank-you-very-much.

In the event that I wanted to post something I did /not/ want connected to
my name, it's not difficult to arrange that, at least at the casual
non-attribution level, as all it takes is an NSP that doesn't put
nntp-posting-host or the like in the headers, and a munged from header.
Of course, that's traceable with legal subpoena power and appropriate
logging orders, but avoiding that is possible as well, altho considerably
more complex (involving multiple anon remailers and a mail2news gateway,
and/or multiple onion routers such as TOR).