pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: ANN: Pan 0.97 "Atoz and Tanda"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: ANN: Pan 0.97 "Atoz and Tanda"
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:27:37 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 15 May 2006
15:11:42 -0500:

> Duncan wrote:
>
>> OTOH, I'm seeing smileys as graphical monstrosities,
>
> It's in View|Body Pane.  Maybe it should be in the prefs dialog.

I /thought/ I'd seen mention of it being an option, but sure couldn't find
it!  Yeah, prefs dialog seems much more intuitive to me.  I scoured the
thing about three times, looking for it, before I posted about it.

Now they are back as text.  Thanks for telling me where the option was.  I
certainly wasn't thinking of looking THERE!  =8^)

>> IOW, the other panes are there but folded up as far as they will go, with
>> the groups pane taking all the space.
>
> What do the geometry, main-window-hpane-position, and
> main-window-vpane-position fields say in $PAN_HOME/preferences.xml?
> (Also, let's move this subthread to a bugzilla ticket.)

I haven't applied the close-patch from the other thread, yet, but once I
saw that, I immediately figured out what was causing this problem!  As
long as I remember to close from the file dialog, things work.

So this one should be fixed with that patch and for 0.98.

>> [The byte column.]
>
> Done for 0.98.

=8^)

>> I could still /really/ use that expanded threads by default option.  =8^)
>> That and the fact that I kept using the wrong profile to post with because
>> PAN wouldn't remember it.
>
> My guess is that a prefs for expanded threads is pre-1.0; remembering
> posting profiles is post-1.0.  For one thing, lots of new users found
> the per-group profile memory unintuitive, so IMO something clearer
> needs to replace it.

It took me a bit to parse that "remembering" thing.  I initially read it
as meaning I should remember a comment/announcement about posting profile
changes.  =8^)  I started to ask for clarification, but in trying to
figure out how to word the question, it finally hit me that you meant *PAN*
remembering posting profiles, not that I should remember a comment about
them!  =8^)

Thanks for the timing estimates.  I was just about to ask, since
every time I try posting to gmane, I screw up due to using the wrong
profile.  Maybe I'll have to set up something with an alternate user or
something, and a second setup of PAN.  That would let me keep the gmane
settings separate, again, too, effectively letting me category it off once
again.

Or maybe I'll just switch back to 0.14.x for gmane, since the
single-server at a time limitation won't make a difference for that.

> Open a pair of bugzilla tickets for these, please.

Will do.

>> (BTW, that draft feature is nice.  I used it to double-verify that the
>> hogging groups pane thing happened consistently on pan open, before coming
>> back to finish the post.)
>
> Ha!  It grew out of a desire to simplify pan.sendlater... :)

Well, simplify and make it more intuitive you certainly did!  =8^)