pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feedback wanted: toolbars in 0.100. (Was: 0.99 just work

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feedback wanted: toolbars in 0.100. (Was: 0.99 just works)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 04:08:55 +0000 (UTC)

"Charles Kerr" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sun, 28 May 2006 16:41:52 -0500:

> Actually I think this brings up two separate issues for 0.100 that I'd
> like to get your (and all of pan-users, of course) feedback on:
>
> 1. Right now the toolbars for the group and header panes are split by the
> separator.  One bad consequence is that parts of the group pane's toolbar
> disappear unless you widen the toolbar. Another one is that in tabbed mode
> you've got access to at most one toolbar at a time.  So I'm planning on
> using a more traditional toolbar in 0.100, one which spans the whole main
> window just under the menu.  This solves both of these problems and has no
> downside that I can think of.

I've wondered why it wasn't that way all along.

I have rather different ordering than most, headers/overviews across the
top, body/group split bottom, maximized on a 21" monitor in 1600x1200
resolution (of which I have two, my panels on the others, so PAN gets the
full 1600x1200), so even with the split, there's still plenty of room for
at least text message display AND group display, full width toolbar, so
no problem there.

There's another issue, however.  Because groups are in the lower right
corner, the groups toolbar is half way down the right side.  Every time I
go to hit the get headers from subscribed groups button, I naturally go to
the top toolbar, only to remember it's not there, then I go find it in the
half-way-down-the-right side location.  If it was a single toolbar across
the top, I'd not have that issue.

I could still sure use a keyboard shortcut for that function, get headers
for subscribed groups, tho!  It's irritating to have to either take the
long way around on the keyboard, or reach for the mouse!

> 2. Everyone has different ideas of what buttons should be in the toolbar.
> I think I am going to put in a toolbar editor so that pan-users doesn't
> have to have these arguments anymore. :)

Now that's the best news I've read since I read that the new version was
full multi-server automated!  =8^)  Of course, as a die-hard KDE user on
virtually everything but my news client, I'm used to that in virtually
every app, and one of the reasons I'm a die-hard KDE user is because I
actually USE those customization features, including customized toolbars,
so I'm definitely for PAN getting it too, and yes, I expect I'll be using
it! =8^)  I do on virtually every app I spend serious time with, and it's
quite possible I spend more time with PAN than any other single app on my
computer!  =8^)