pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: RE: Access provider, email provider, and Pan

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: RE: Access provider, email provider, and Pan
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:44:37 -0400

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:31:01 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 16
> Jun 2006 14:58:53 -0400:

>>> I have to use my userId and password to access my news server and I put
>>> that info in the "News Servers" and I put an invalid address in "Posting
>>> Profiles" and it works and I don't get any spam from my newsgroup posts.
>>
>> Hmmm .... And that works?? IOW, Pan requires *something*, but it doesn't
>> have to be valid? Hmmm ... I suppose I could then put a transparently
>> munged one in my .sig ....
>
> Yes.  The only newsgroups I use a valid address on are the gmane ones,
> which are actually mailing lists.  Everything else I use something like
> cox.reply2group.net.please as the domain name, with instructions for
> unmunging it, of course.
>
> Note that when choosing a munged address, you want two things.  First,
> make sure it's not your real domain -- munge the domain not just the
> username portion.  If you use your normal domain, you are just causing
> them to get more spam they have to process, whether it's for a valid
> address or not.
>
> Second, make sure it's not a valid domain at all, so you aren't causing
> someone else to get spam.  reply2group.net might be such a valid domain,
> thus the "please" at the end.  "please" isn't a valid TLD (top level
> domain), so any direct spammer harvesting isn't going to end up hurting
> whoever might have reply2group.net as their domain.

Actually, I was thinking of making one like "<Beartooth (at)
adelphia.net>," only with my real address (I.e., the one I mostly use)
instead of the adelphia.net one. Bad idea??

> Here, I actually use a dedicated address for my (non-gmane) news address
> as well.  [...]

What is a dedicated address when it's at home??

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler
FC5; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1