pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan Mac OS X and doble-clicked URL

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan Mac OS X and doble-clicked URL
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:24:17 +0000 (UTC)

"Yvon Thoraval" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Sat, 16 Dec 2006 04:15:40 +0100:

> fine thanks, i don't have the "OS X Default" i suppose it's because i've
> installed the MacPort version of Pan, not the latest (v 0.14.2).

Oh, that's WAYY old (several years)!  The newest is 0.119, with a rewrite
to C++ from 0.90 on.  That's why you don't see the OSX Default, you are
using a VERY old and now dead-ended (as in no more bugfixes altho there
are certainly known bugs) version.

The 0.119 source tarball is available at http://pan.rebelbase.com as
usual.  After you untar it, you can read the usual README and INSTALL
documentation files.  They are general, but list the usual dependencies,
and if you have trouble, a number of OSX users post to this group (well
list, but it's a newsgroup for me, from gmane.org) so should be able to
help.

1.0 should be out shortly (looks like my "by the end of the year"
prediction back this summer was about right), as the next stable version,
the first one after the rewrite.  It's quite likely packages for it will
be available for all sorts of platforms that haven't been keeping up with
the post 0.90 betas, so you might wish to wait for that, but I'd certainly
urge you to get it at least, when it comes out, as things have DRASTICALLY
changed since the 0.14.x you are apparently running.

Just a cautionary note that the new version has changed enough if you've
gotten used to the older version, expect to take a bit to get used to the
new version, and you may have a few questions as well.  Don't hesitate to
post them if you do. =8^)