pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Filtering unusable slow

From: Frederik Himpe
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering unusable slow
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:48:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 01:14:13 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:18:05 +0000, Frederik Himpe wrote:
>
>> I tried to gather some profiling information. I took the most simple
>> case: I start pan, and without doing anything, after a few seconds, I
>> close it. It will take a very long time to quit.
>
> Well, I was hoping somebody smart would step in and solve your problem,
> but no.
>
>> You can download a 2.3 MB tarbal on
>> http://artipc10.vub.ac.be/files/pan.tar.bz2 which contains an strace of
>> this process of more than 40 MB, and also a few gdb traces I gathered
>> by running pan in gdb, and Ctrl-C'ing it several times after I quit...
>
> I'm confused by 'after I quit'.  I meant to Ctrl-C at the gdb prompt
> while pan is wasting time filtering.  Did you do something different?

I concentrated on the point that Pan takes an enormous amount of time when
I click on the close button in the window manager. I guess the filtering
problem is actually the same one, as both problems started together at the
same time. The backtraces are generated by Ctrl-C'ing in gdb, after I
clicked on the close button, but before Pan actually finished. Sorry for
the confusion.

>> I am running GNOME 2.19. I would not be surprised if this was related
>> to the problem.
>
> Could be, but I don't know.  Are your pan and gome true 64-bit
> executables and did you compile them yourself?

All 64 bit, Mandriva Cooker RPM packages.

--
Frederik Himpe