pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How do I manually set my filter to ignore cross-posts?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How do I manually set my filter to ignore cross-posts?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:41:25 +0000 (UTC)

"Jonathan D. Armendariz" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:37:44
-0800:

> As the subject indicates I'm having a bit of an issue manually setting
> up my filter. I've been able to set up my filter to filter out by
> Message-ID successfully but adjusting the filters to kill off cross
> posts to two or more newsgroups universally seems to work on a one
> off-basis but once I start up Pan again it somehow manages to lose the
> ability to do so. Below is a sample output of my score file.
>
> [*]
> Score:: =-9999

> Perhaps I'm doing something wrong that I'm not aware of? Any help or
> pointers in the right general direction would be gratefully appreciated.

First, note that you "hijacked" a different thread (Preserving Pan
Session History...), probably by replying to it and changing the
subject.  It still has the Message-ID of the previous message in the
References header, however, so it's still part of the previous thread and
will be displayed as such in many clients (including pan, when viewed as
news on gmane as I do), regardless of the change in subject.  Hijacking
threads isn't nice.  =:^(  Use the new-message functionality next time
instead of hitting reply, and it should start a new thread. =:^)

As to your question, why don't you use a simpler Xref match of

AFAIK, that should do what you need I think (do colons need backslash
escaped or not, I always have to test and see).  It /may/ be that pan is
seeing those {} and trying to parse them as a test grouping (see the slrn
scorefile doc) tho it shouldn't as they don't meet the criteria in the
middle of a line like that.  But that could be why it's failing.  But
your regex is simple enough I don't think it needs the {} anyway.