pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:47:12 -0500

Travis wrote:
Can I download it to the desktop?
Yes, you can download it wherever you like (that you have write access to).
Would that be pan-0.133.tar.bz2 or pan-0.133.tar.gz?
Either one. The .bz2 should be slightly smaller, so I generally go with that.
How do I untar it?
First I'll assume that you did download the tarball to the Desktop. Now cd to the place where you want to unpack it. This too can be anywhere you like, that you have write-access to. For example, say you created a directory under your home directory named "build". Then you'd "cd to it" i.e., you would type, in the terminal window:

 cd ~/build

Now if you chose the .bz2 option, your next command would be:

  tar -xvjf ~/Desktop/pan-0.133.tar.bz2

If you chose the .gz option, it would be, instead:

  tar -xvzf ~/Desktop/pan-0.133.tar.bz2

This will create the directory pan-0.133 (and lots of stuff under that).
If by "running the various commands" you mean things like "apt-get" from a terminal , that is what I have been doing.
What is "cd into it"?
Well, "it" in my example would be ~/build/pan-0.133 (or $HOME/build/pan-0.133, same thing) so that would mean typing the following at the shell prompt (in the terminal):

cd ~/build/pan-0.133

cd means "change directory". So when you "cd to" a directory, you are making it your current working directory.

-- David