pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies

From: HarryB
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:22:43 -0600

On Thursday 11 December 2008 12:50:40 pm HarryB wrote:
> New Pan (v0.132) user, running under Debian 4.0 and KDE 3.5.10.
>
> I have been able to post a new message to the newsgroup rec.bicycles.tech
> and one or two replies, but additional replies fail because the server
> rejects them and returns the following error: "441 Posting Failed (Rejected
> by POST filter)" .
>
> I tried the same in 0.test and the results were the same: I could post at
> least one reply to my initial message, but subsequent replies failed.
>
> So, I booted into Windows and fired up Free Agent, my old newsreader. I was
> able to reply without a problem. So, it appears that the problem is with
> Pan and not my news server, bellsouth.net.
>
> What doesn't my news server like about Pan's replies?
>
> TIA,
> Harry

I called my ISP and talked with someone in technical support about the problem
I was having with Pan. I explained to her that based on what I was told,
there is a problem with the filter on their NNTP server. After a couple of
moments of silence, she asked if I could please spell that for her, which I
did. Hey, I even know what NNTP stands for, but that didn't help her either.

Then I made a colossal mistake because I mentioned that I am running Pan under
Linux. I was informed that Bellsouth doesn't offer tech support for Linux. To
make a rather long story short, she finally gave me an email address where I
could send my question.

Ok, so I started composing my question and decided to do some more tinkering
to refresh my memory. And I found a difference between the way Free Agent and
Pan puts information in the References area. FA puts them all on the same
line with a single space between the IDs. So, FA's References looks like
this: References: <ID> <ID> <ID> etc.

But, Pan's looks different. Pans puts the references on a separate line and
appears to have a tabbed space before each ID. Here is a sample [1] of one
header: