pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:54:15 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:10:45
+0000:

> IIRC, isn't RFC-compliant usage of the References header to use the root
> message in the thread (as best the client can determine), the message
> being replied to, and the parent to that?

Now to correctly answer that, I'd have to go look up the RFC, wouldn't
I?  That sounds like work! =:^)

Regardless of RFC, tho, it's common sense.

But what I suspect is happening here is the server is using a Bayesian
filter on either all headers or the entire message, and keying in on some
portion of the message-ID.  Get too many references with that pattern in
them, and it rejects the message.  It probably doesn't help that the
pattern is likely in the current message-id and possibly the xtrace or
some other header as well.  It's not, I'd guess, a specific limit on
references length or the number of references, but rather a limit on the
number of times a particular string, which happens to be part of the
message-ids in question, occurs.

If we can change the message-id to avoid triggering the bayesian, we
should be fine.  Meanwhile, reducing the number of message-ids in the
references header has the desired effect as well, but is way too
cumbersome to do manually as a long term fix.