pan-users

[Pan-users] Serendipity : You may all laugh

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Serendipity : You may all laugh
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:32:53 +0000 (UTC)

        Background : my chief offline activity is squirreling, in the
course of which I do a lot of mapping with GPSs -- and have always had to
keep some form of M$ around, in order to be able to get my hardware to
talk to the topo map software I do the mapping with. (Wine can finally
install, launch, and run some of it; but it can't manage to get it to
talk with my GPSs.)

        I have of course also watched all the linux-native topo map
software I know of -- for over ten years -- hoping for one to reach a
state of user-friendliness where those of us without degrees in CS,
cartography, and EE can use them.

        Current project is trying to learn to handle a suite called
Qlandkarte -- with obliging help from the developers, even.

        Suddenly I thought to look into permissions in that -- because of
the state of things here, of course. Sure enough, there was one of those
blasted padlocks. I ran a chown command, and re-launched the program.

        Lo and behold!, it downloaded the list of waypoints from my GPS.
Now I just have to download some topo maps into it; if that works, too, I
can have an M$-free house again -- thanks to youss great guyss. Whooda
thunkkit?
--
Beartooth Squirreler
Delenda est MegaSleazo!