pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:51:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:16:51 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden,
> excerpted below, on  Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:24:16 +0000:

>>      Using motzarella, I've been getting quite a few posts unreadable
>> because, Pan says, they're not complete. If it finds an incomplete post
>> on one (higher priority) server, and a complete one on another (lower
>> priority) one, will it find and grab the complete one?
>
> Binaries?  I thought you said you didn't do binaries?  But that's the
> only ones that normally are multi-segment and thus can be "incomplete".

        Maybe I don't know what a binary is. All I ever normally do is
read text. I avoid images, especially moving images, and sound.

        I'm not sure what sort of icons I should have seen. What I did
see was the little "no entrance" icon in the bottom right corner instead
of the balloon or light bulb. That's the Event Log, and vastly
voluminous, right?

        Scrolling down that log, when I found more no-entrance icons,
they had a line of text next to them saying that the  post was incomplete.

        Usually, I delete such. Once or twice, however, I didn't -- and
the posts later did show up. Complete. And they were plain text, or maybe
double -- plain text and text disfigured by webgibberish (html).

> Perhaps you sign up for a month and follow your usage a couple weeks and
> see what giganews says you are running?  $2.99 isn't that much to lose
> either way, I suppose.

        If they will say, yes, that makes a lot of sense.

        [....]
> You can tell whether it's multi-segment or not, and whether pan thinks
> it can get all the parts or not, by the icons next to the posts. [...]
>
> Assuming you are indeed seeing multi-segment binaries, yes, pan will
> download what it can from the high priority servers, then fall back to
> the lower priority ones for completion.
>
> If that assumption is incorrect... then I guess I need more data as at
> this point I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

        My guess is that I was calling up things motzarella wasn't
getting much call for -- and it or pan was running slow.

        Motzarella may settle down. Yesterday I kept getting nothing in
rec.food.cooking, rec.guns, rec.hunting, and the va.* hierarchy. Today
Pan shows 77608, 2959, and 117 in the first three. That's after
requesting 100 days' headers, *not* all. But when I request the same in
va.*, I get none, and no tasks pending.