pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless : EXAMPLE

From: Alan Meyer
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless : EXAMPLE
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:07:11 -0700 (PDT)

Beartooth <address@hidden> wrote:
> Error reading from news.motzarella.org: unknown error
>
>     I've been getting quite a few of those.
>
>     Any bets I'm doing something the nice people at motzarella hadn't
> thought of?

I've had good luck with Motzarella, though I do get server busy
messages from them sometimes due to the fact that more and more
people are discovering them and signing up.  I can't recall
seeing other types of errors.

If you're getting "incomplete" messages it sure sounds like there
was some binary attachment to the message, or that the message is
itself a binary - very likely a photo.  I think that groups that
are primarily text may sometimes have binaries too - though I'm
not sure about that.  Motzarella does not store binaries.

Although I prefer using a news server to using a web server,
there are web interfaces to news that you might use as a last
resort.

If you go to http://groups.google.com you'll find the most
heavily used one.  It allows you to post as well as to read news.
I don't know if they carry the groups you're interested in or
not.  Google also does not store binaries.  If you get errors on
the same messages there, that's a sign that there is a problem
with the message, not with the particular server or with your
software.

    Alan