pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Download All New Messages from All Subscribed Groups

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Download All New Messages from All Subscribed Groups
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:10:42 +0000 (UTC)

Matej Cepl <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 04 Jun 2009 06:21:12
+0000:

> Why is this (IMHO, quite basic) functionality not implemneted? Pressing
> Ctrl-D,D,C,G fourty times (I have redefined C to be Cache this message)
> every morning doesn't feel like state-of-the-art of the 21st century. :)

It is slated to be added when the former rules feature replacement for
auto-* goes in.  This will be score-based, and as discussed, will allow
auto-download and auto-cache on the one side and auto-mark-read and auto-
delete on the other side, with the same score categories as are already
seen in the color tab of preferences and in the view > header menu.

Presumably, most people would set watched to auto-download (or auto-
cache), with ignored set to auto-delete (or auto-mark-read) and possibly
negative set to auto-mark-read.  However, the highest category for the
negative stuff and the lowest for the positive stuff could be set, so
users that want to auto-cache (or auto-download) everything could simply
set that to the zero/normal category, or even the ignored category, if
desired.

That's the last remaining unimplemented feature from old-pan.  Honestly,
I'm not sure why Charles didn't implement it, except that early on, he
wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to do with it except that he knew the
old rules feature was way too complex (and I agree, as we had a lot of
people asking here for help with it, or for features that were already
available using rules), and that he wanted a far simpler setup for new-
pan.  As the other bit of stuff the rules used to manage was expiration
and new-pan already handles that better, the auto-* actions are what
remains, and Charles did participate in a discussion where he agreed on
the general principle of a preferences tab to setup the auto-actions, as
much simpler and a sensible solution.  However, it never actually got
implemented, and after working very hard on pan for over a year, with
nearly weekly updates, he evidently got burnt out and decided to give it
a rest.

That was nearly two years ago, with one maintenance release, updating pan
to compile with new versions of gcc and various libraries as well as
fixing a security vuln, at exactly one year after the last previous
update.  That was version 0.133, released on August 1, 2008.

Obviously all us non-coders are eagerly awaiting his return to working on
pan, but nobody's quite sure when it might be.

FWIW, I had an ebuild that followed the SVN-live version, and updated it
relatively frequently, but haven't for awhile, and gnome has moved to GIT
now, so I assume pan will too, but haven't updated the ebuild to see if
it has or what the new status is.  So it's possible Charles has started
working on pan again in the last couple months and I just don't know
about it yet as I haven't switched the ebuild to git to check.  But I
don't know for sure that he's moving to git, either.  It's unlikely but
possible he's sticking with SVN and will move the repository elsewhere
when he has to... or maybe already has.  Last I checked the pan site, it
still referred to the old gnome SVN repository, tho that's not unexpected
if Charles isn't doing anything with it at all, nor if he's working on
something big like the C++ rewrite we didn't know about for years, so I
really don't know.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again.  I wish I could code
C++.  Maybe someday...