pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Download All New Messages from All Subscribed Groups

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Download All New Messages from All Subscribed Groups
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:48:03 +0000 (UTC)

Jack Cuyler <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 05 Jun 2009 01:39:00
+0000:

> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:10:42 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I had an ebuild that followed the SVN-live version, and updated
>> it relatively frequently, but haven't for awhile, and gnome has moved
>> to GIT now, so I assume pan will too, but haven't updated the ebuild to
>> see if it has or what the new status is.
>
> It's a pretty simple switch.  Just replace "subversion" with "git" on
> your inherit line and replace the ESVN* lines with:
>
> EGIT_PROJECT="${PN}2"
> EGIT_REPO_URI="git://git.gnome.org/${EGIT_PROJECT}"
> EGIT_BOOTSTRAP="autogen.sh"
> S="${WORKDIR}/${PN}2"

Cool!

FWIW, I hacked together the original pan-9999.ebuild for my own use
(using a couple other svn.eclass using ebuilds as examples), and happened
to mention it somewhere where one of the Gentoo maintainers saw it, and
asked me to mail it to him (or submit a bug, IDR which) for possible
inclusion in the tree.  After a bit of cleanup, sure enough, there it
was! =:^)

Of course that's the way open source is supposed to work as once the
ebuild was upstream, I didn't have to worry about updating it for Gentoo
patches, only my own, and if I got to the update nullifying a Gentoo
patch before Gentoo did.  Thus, it was a much easier maintenance job from
my perspective and Gentoo's as well, as I continued to keep watch and
file bugs when necessary, such as the security bug from about a year ago,
a patch the SuSE folks and I worked on for glib-2.16, etc.

But I hadn't gotten around to figuring out what changes I needed to make
to update it to the git repo, and now I don't have to! =:^)

If you'd like (and haven't already) submit a Gentoo bug with the updates
above.  Otherwise, I'll probably do so after testing them.

Two other related matters:

First, I mentioned applying my own patches on occasion.  Had you ever
seen Ed Catmur's portage bashrc and phasehooks based scripts?  If you
occasionally apply your own patches, or patches found on bugs before they
find their way into the tree, this makes the process MUCH easier, as in
most cases you can simply drop them in /etc/portage/patches/cat-egory/
pkgname (with version appended if appropriate), and have them
automatically applied, thus avoiding having to add the package to your
overlay just to apply a patch or two.  There were a few other features
the scripts made available that I don't use, as well.

Ed also created the (now masked as abandonware that doesn't understand
package slots, etc) app-portage/udept package and obviously knew a lot
about portage's internals.  Unfortunately, he disappeared some time ago,
and while his home site (catmur.co.uk) still appears to exist, anything
Gentoo related seems to have been either removed or locked down (thus the
udept abandonware), so the original source for his portage hooks scripts
is now gone. =:^(

However, if this sounds interesting and you never had a chance to get the
scripts, let me know and I can mail you a tarball.  (As I said, I don't
use it all, and removed what I don't use, but I had the foresight to save
a copy of the original tarball, in case I needed it.)  As I said, it's
/very/ handy when you have a patch you want to apply to some sources
tarball or other, helping to avoid overlaying the ebuild just for that.

Second, FWIW, before you posted the above, I was toying with the
possibility of going direct-git, that is, unmerging the ebuild, cloning
that bit of the git repo, and handling it all locally.  I'm doing that
now with the kernel as I sort of grew into it after testing kernel -rcs
for awhile, reporting bugs, and needing to do git-bisect to trace them
down.  So while I don't really code (tho I bash script), I'm gradually
getting comfortable with git on the kernel, and now that pan is git as
well, was thinking about doing the whole proper git thing for it as well.

I still might at some point, but of course a tradeoff would be that I'd
be deserting the mutually beneficial relationship I've established with
the Gentoo pan maintainers, address@hidden in particular.  But with the
ebuild changes you posted, it's much easier simply updating the pan-9999
ebuild appropriately and continuing to keep an eye on the Gentoo pan
situation, so that's what I'll be doing, for now at least. =:^)