pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] limits in Pan 0.132?

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] limits in Pan 0.132?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:59:38 -0700

On 04/28/2010 01:05 PM, Gerald Livingston wrote:
Using a Debian install of Pan 0.132

I mostly read a few text groups so I'm not all that worried about the
various patches yet.

But, now I am doing some testing of my GigaNews feed. Specifically the
claim of 600+ days of binary retention.

And, I can only retrieve articles back as far as September 1st 2009.
Everything before that is listed as unavailable/incomplete.

Are there limits in Pan that would cause this or do I need to poke at
GigaNews a bit?

I'm guessing that GigaNews has switched to 64-bit article numbers to
support that much retention.  If I'm right, then you will need at
least that one patch, so you may as well get the benefit of all the
other patches at the same time.

I've read many times that Debian is late with package updates, and
that seems to be very true in the case of Pan, anyway.  The latest
Pan sources need recent versions of gtk and glib, so that may prevent
compiling your own Pan on Debian -- but that's just a guess.