pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: limits in Pan 0.132?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: limits in Pan 0.132?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 03:10:17 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:59:38 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 04/28/2010 01:05 PM, Gerald Livingston wrote:
>> Using a Debian install of Pan 0.132
>>
>> I mostly read a few text groups so I'm not all that worried about the
>> various patches yet.
>>
>> But, now I am doing some testing of my GigaNews feed. Specifically the
>> claim of 600+ days of binary retention.
>
>> And, I can only retrieve articles back as far as September 1st 2009.
>> Everything before that is listed as unavailable/incomplete.
>>
>> Are there limits in Pan that would cause this or do I need to poke at
>> GigaNews a bit?
>
> I'm guessing that GigaNews has switched to 64-bit article numbers to
> support that much retention.  If I'm right, then you will need at least
> that one patch, so you may as well get the benefit of all the other
> patches at the same time.

Seconded.  I'm not a giganews user, but IIRC, they were the ones pushing
the change, so it's not surprising to me at all that they'd have problems
without it.

>From what I've read here, I believe they have a FAQ on it, somewhere.  You
might want to check that and see exactly what the deal is, which groups
it's likely to apply too, etc.