pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.99999999999999

From: robby
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.99999999999999
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 04:39:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 02:27:34 -0500, Bob Davenport wrote:

> Will there ever be the possibility of uploading binaries in Pan?
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no application that allows binary
> uploading under Linux.  I know that Agent can be run under wine, been
> there, done that.  But with the 1680 x 1050 screen resolution that I
> use, It is nearly impossible to read the menus.  I have also tried to
> install powerpost, with stunnel4 in wine also with no joy.
> Look at it this way,  Pan would be the only news reader under Linux that
> would offer binary posting, hopefully using yenc.
>
> greyebeard <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
  [snip]

"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God)."
(By Matt Welsh

Sorry about the HTML, was using Tbird, and did not realize that
it was set for that format.

I am running Mint 9, 10 and 11, found the ppa for pan, and have installed
the 0.135 release on all three.  Something I found via dumbly searching
through synaptic was that on the earlier releases, if I installed "yydecode"
I could get the multi-part jpg and others to display when downloaded.

I hope that this comes through ok, as I do not want to alienate any others.
BTW:  I may have a gmail address, but since the late 1980's and my first
exposure to usenet via a bbs with access I have NEVER top posted. ;-{

That access was via a CP/M 80 machine and accessed DAL the local
usenet server/backbone here in Dallas.  Was interesting to say the least.  Only
2000 or so newsgroups.

robby