pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Empty posts in Pan?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Empty posts in Pan?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:35:56 +1000

walt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:52:37 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

I think this may be a bug in Pan, I'm not sure.

Can somebody else please check this post in comp.lang.python and tell me if you can download the body?

In Pan, I cannot download the body. The above headers come from Knode.

Yes, I can see the article body using pan (KHaley's repo) just fine.

Thank you to everyone who has responded.

Just in the last couple of days a large number of posts have started appearing that I cannot view in Pan. I've never seen anything like this before, and now it is affecting a significant minority of posts: in Pan's header pane, they appear with Number of Lines as either 0 or a large number (thousands). Clicking on them, they don't download, and the body pane remains blank.

In Knode, I see the same thing in the header (0 lines or thousands), but when I click on them the body downloads and the number of lines adjusts to the correct figure (typically less than a hundred).

Could this be corruption at my ISP's news server? That would explain why it doesn't affect other people?

One thing I don't understand, though, is that the message ID of your post when I
read it with pan is <address@hidden>.  The
posting-host is also from astraweb, not gmane.  I'm completely stumped, and I
have no idea if this relates to your problem or not.

I must admit, I don't understand why you think this is surprising.

--
Steven