pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New file posting feature, broken? Misunderstood?

From: Heinrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New file posting feature, broken? Misunderstood?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:09:05 +0200

On 06/28/11 12:32, Duncan wrote:
Heinrich Mueller posted on Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:36:32 +0200 as excerpted:

On 06/28/11 11:17, Duncan wrote:
Could the text appear as another post, beside the others?  That's what
I expected.
Perhaps, but I have to figure out what the subject/text would be then.
If it's a reply (as discussed in the next point), the subject is already
filled in.  And if it's not, the originating post has the subject line
available just as it would if you were making a normal text post, so it
can be filled in the same way.

Meanwhile, the binary posts all seem to strip the references header.
If the original post triggering them (the one the user selects files to
post on) is a reply, the references header shouldn't IMO be stripped
but instead should remain, so the posts ultimately end up threaded
under the post the user was replying to when he selected the files to
post.
Good point, I'll change that.
Thanks. I just sort of expected it to work that way, but obviously the
idea didn't seem as intuitive to you as it did to me.  That's what
testing is for, I guess.  Many heads (and use cases) are better than one!
=:^)

(I remember when I came up with the idea of linking the posting server to
the posting profile.  It's a posting setting, so it seemed perfectly
intuitive to me to have it in the posting profile.  As nobody else had a
better idea, that's where Charles put the option, but I quickly found out
just how unintuitive my "perfectly intuitive" ideas are to others, many
of whom were soon asking on the list how to set that option.  So yeah,
I'm used to my "perfectly intuitive" ideas not seeming quite so intuitive
to others.  You're not the first and surely won't be the last. =:^)

Finally, could the encoding type be made user-selectable?  For posts to
for example gmane, the mailing list to news and back gateway, most
readers will be seeing the message in their /mail/ clients, many of
which don't implement yenc.  That's the problem I just had (the guy
with the question got the files but couldn't read them).  Being able to
select encoding type would eliminate that issue.
Yes, that's possible. But again, the problem lies in the options:
If you want to post binary data, the text would be the same for _every_
file. Or at least every upload. Well, it's the user's choice.
I believe you misunderstood me there.  Yes, I had earlier asked about
text posted along with the files, but that's not what I was suggesting
here.

What I was suggesting here was that one of the encoding choices be
"identity", which would effectively post the file as-is, as an un-encoded
text post that has as its body the literal content of the (text) file.

Look at it as a way to cut-and-paste the exact content of a text file as
the body of the message, without having to manually open the file in a
text editor and actually cut-and-paste, but instead simply adding that
file to the file queue.  The user wouldn't interact with the contents of
the message any more than they do when it's a binary file.  It would
simply be posted as text directly, instead of yenc (or uue or whatever,
this assumes the encoding is selectable) encoded.

I'll look into all of that if a have the time, but you point out some
valid things,
thanks.
Thank you!  Not only is the new feature HUGELY appreciated in itself, but
it's enjoyable to once again have a new pan feature to explore and try to
figure out all the use-cases I can come up with to break the concept as
the author originally implemented it! (Not that such tends to be
particularly hard for me; see the "perfectly intuitive" note above. =:^)

Done. Feel free to test it and comment if you like/don't like it.
I didn't implement the "text as single post" idea, but the rest is there.
Perhaps I'll put that into pan, too, sometime.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
imhotep