pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Where'd the post go?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Where'd the post go?
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 08:27:07 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Mueller posted on Sat, 03 Sep 2011 06:27:02 +0200 as excerpted:

> Am 03.09.2011 00:15, schrieb Duncan:
>> @ HM: Could an option be added to make deleting posts throw up a
>> confirmation dialog? Obviously, some may wish to turn it off, thus the
>> option, but most GUIs have a confirmation on delete by default, and I
>> believe pan could use it to. Meanwhile, it's likely worth the trouble
>> to "delete the delete" hotkey associated with that function. In the
>> articles menu, hover over the delete function (preferably on a post you
>> don't mind losing just in case) and hit the delete key. That /should/
>> delete the hotkey, so you'll have to use the menu to delete posts.
>> Alternatively, consider assigning a more complicated combo,
>> shift-ctrl-delete or the like. (Be careful not to trigger
>> ctrl-alt-delete which is often a shutdown hotkey.)
> Yes, sure, but I as a linux user (smile) am ALWAYS sure if i want to
> delete something lol. (sarcasm end)
> I'll put it on my to-do list.

Well, being sure I want to delete /something/, and being sure I'm
deleting the /right/ something, due to a mistaken belief on which window
has the focus, are (unfortunately) two *VERY* different things.

FWIW, tho, I personally seriously dislike the trash most GUIs seem to
have these days.  In fact, I often keep the confirmation dialog on move
to trash only since I so often mean DELETE when I hit it.

But I do keep a confirmation dialog on delete most of the time too (for
the GUI, not so much at the command line, where tab-completion serves the
same purpose).

Hmm... That's a new thought, to me anyway.  From this point of view, a
GUI's delete confirmation dialog (and move/copy/cancel dialog for those
ops) is simply a (poor) substitute for the missing tab-completion, to
ensure that you're actually doing the operation you intend to do, where
you intend to do it.

Anyway, I see the follow-up saying it's already done.  The speed at which
you implement suggestions has been a repeating source of amazement to me,
and this is no exception.  Thanks! =:^)

(Thinking about which, it's about time for me to pull and build updates
once again, including to pan, as I've not updated in a few days.  I
generally try to do it twice a week or so, and getting more than 10 days
out means they start stacking up and it's harder to trace any problems
that might occur to a specific update.  FWIWI, this'll be my first kernel
git pull since the news of the cracked kernel.org servers hit.)