pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan

From: thufir
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 03:34:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:02:25 +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[...]
> "aol"? You're showing your age. They long ago moved to Hotmail, and now
> Gmail. With a bit of luck, they'll all be twitting or on Facebook by
> this time next year, and will never send another email or news post
> again.

LOL.  You may be righ that once they're in FB they'll never leave that
universe.  Interestingly, while I was never on AOL, I think they're
similar in that they're both one-way black holes.

Hey, when will Pan support FB messages!?  A feature long overdue.  Add
enough features and you've got...IE!

Everytime I go on facebook and see a discussion I'm amazed that they've
re-invented usenet in a crappier way, and even in a way which makes it so
much easier to stamp on political talk, potentially.  I'm sure the FBI
loves it.

[...]
> 1) support the entire HTML standard, with all the difficulty and
>     security threats that implies;
> 2) support only a tiny subset of HTML, just enough to give some
>     limited rich text (e.g. bold, italic, embedded images);
> 3) hide the HTML content altogether and pretend it doesn't exist; 4)
> show the plain text, and the HTML as an attachment; 5) show the HTML,
> tags and all, inline as if it were ordinary text.
>

> 1) is never going to happen (and a good thing that is too). Pan
> currently does 5), I believe that 4) would be a better solution. What's
> your solution?

I'm picturing buttons for various attachments, much like thunderbird,
where I can open an mp3 with mplayer, etc, and each attachment is
listed..  For HTML I would like the option to open in the browser,
download, view source or have pan try to parse with a subset of html.  I
guess I'm greedy and want it all.

In 99% of the cases, that small subset of HTML would be sufficient and
would scratch that itch.  Or, even start by stripping it out, whichever.
In either case it would make pan more usable for mailing lists.

How does thunderbird et. al. handle html mail?  However, I really like
that pan is so much easier on system resources than thunderbird, for
example (which I only use because it's defaulted on my system).
Sometimes I think about going back to pine.

It's a fine line, but I want to keep pan as light weight as possible,
then, in the (hopefully rare) case of HTML posts, click a button.

On the other hand, I would like to to do more with gwene, so maybe there
could be two modes?  Plain text and html mode?  Would that require two
different binaries, or could you do that at run-time?

-Thufir