pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:49:40 +0000 (UTC)

thufir posted on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:54:04 +0000 as excerpted:

> Gwene is a variation of this situation, which is evolving.  It's
> basically required to parse those with HTML as they are RSS feeds.  I
> know, I know.  I *like* and prefer plain text, but the world marches on.

Whew!  I hadn't seen a post here in long enough I was beginning to wonder
if either gmane or pan had broken on this list/group! =:^(  Relief! =:^)

Yes, gwene is an interesting case.  When I had to dump akregator as all
of kdepim including akregator was akonadifying, since I was already using
pan for gmane, my immediate first thought was pan for gwene.

That didn't work so well for exactly the reason you state, it's RSS/Atom
bridging, so everything was XML, and pan doesn't do so well with XML!

The next idea, since I had already switched to claws-mail from kmail, was
claws-mail for feeds as well.  So that's what I did.  I could then choose
either the direct feed using the claws-mail feed plugin (which I did), or
gwene using the news side.

Either way, claws' "filtered html" mode, where it simply filters out all
the tags except anchor-links, which are converted to plain text URLs,
works remarkably well.

The filtered-html works well for mail as well, tho I still have an HTML
filter below a few whitelistings, as HTML is still a pretty good spam
marker once the whitelistings are taken care of.

I think pan would be really nice with something similar.  Combine that
with the idea of inserting some sort of visible marker between text-
parts, thus eliminating /that/ long-standing issue, and it should work
quite well.